Tent helps to build more comfortable campsite living area within short time and it very convenient and simple to handle at anytime. Tent maintenance is very simple and proper cleaning and reproofing is necessary to extend the durability. Little care after use will prolong the life and gives pleasant camping experience on every outing. Just clean the tent and check out the entire space to find out the defects in the tent. Experts recommend servicing the tent, before and after the camping season. Cleaning the tent is much easier in the erect position, because you will have clear idea on where more attention is needed and it is more useful in covering whole area. Cleaning process may require three to four hours, so allocate necessary time. User should follow the step by step cleaning process to avail neat and durable tents.
- Select the right sunny day to carry out the cleaning process and this will help out with quick drying. Start to clean the tent with warm water in order to remove the mud and the bird droppings.
- Tent proofing will be spoiled with the use of local detergent powders, so try to use only the warm water. If the dirt is removed with the warm water then go for the specialized cleaners.
- Clean the whole tent, because partial cleaning will look odd. Just follow the instructions that are given in the product that is used for cleaning.
- Mould formation is the real treat for tents durability, so check out the tent for the signs of mould. This shows that the tent was dry when it is packed last time.
- Mould is capable is spreading around the tent in short time, so it should be killed to avoid adverse effects. The small black dot denotes the early stage of mould and it can be missed out easily, so search carefully.
- Make use of the sterilizing fluid like Milton over the mould and rinse off the area with cold water. Use sponge to rub and remove the stain and dirt. Don’t leave the cleaner to dry in the tent and try to clean off the tent as soon as possible.
- Repeat the cleaning processes for several times if the tent has heavy soiling. After cleaning, just allow the tent to dry out fully and pack the tent.
- Reproofing of the tent is required when the water penetrates inside the fabric instead of beading off. Re-proofing is always required after use and the particular area only needs to be re-proofed.
- The entire tend should be repaired if the water through the fabric severely. Reproofing also serves as a preventive layer for UV degradation, particularly in extended camps.
- Proofing should be done only on the outer side and breathability will be impaired with inner tents reproof. The waterproofing quality is maximized with the re-proof and it will serve as stain barrier in the future also.
- Use the tent re-proofer and allow the tent to completely dry out. Apply second coat in necessary cases and the Fabsil aerosol re-proofer can be used in emergency situation.
Spend some time in cleaning and drying other tent accessories like pegs, poles, ground sheets, guy lines, seams and others. Remove the mud and clean the peg by soaking it in the bucket of soapy water and dried under the sunlight. Check for the damages and bents in the pegs and it is always recommended to have some spare pegs in camping. Similarly check the tent poles and get new if the poles are highly damaged. Verify the working of zips and ensure that are zips are clean. Use wax candle to smoothen the zip movement and make use of zipper lubricant to ensure corrosion and friction free zips. The groundsheet should not be forgotten in the cleaning process and dry it along with tent. Repair the small tears in the beginning stage and necessary repair kit should be used.
How to storage a tent properly?
Rip-stop nylon is nowadays used in most of the tents and these tents should be stored properly to preserve the fabric for long time. Stuffing and folding are two common methods of tent storing and each method involves its own caring and storage procedure. Decide whether you are going to stuff or fold the tent after camping and if weight is an issue, just fold off the tent and disperse the weight equally. Weather plays significant role in deciding the storage method and stuff the tent fabric randomly in the tent bag in wet cases. Tents should not be stored in the stuff bags at home, because creases and unwanted folds will develop after few months of continues storage. Make the tent fabric as a lofty square and place the tent in a dry dark closet. The tents should be stored after cleaning and store in the right place, which avoids mould formation.
Which pegs to use?
Investment on tent pegs plays significant role in ensuring the safe adventures camping. You should select the tent pegs by considering various factors and these stakes are available in number of shapes and sizes. The basic knowledge of various campsite requirements will help to find the find peg in short time. Analyze the soil type and the texture of the area, where you are going to camp. Different tent pegs should be selected for dry, hilly and the forest regions. Metal stakes are highly suitable for clay and soil based regions. Plastic pegs could be more suitable for forest and the grassy regions, where the metal stakes will slip. The pegs should also be chosen according to the weather condition, because the tent may blow off with heavy wind. Double headed stakes are highly recommended for rainy and snow based areas. Auger pegs are specially designed to suit the tent needs in loose sandy regions. The stake length should be selected by analyzing the height of the tent. Ensure quality while buying form the local distributors and avail stakes with good warranty. By ensuring regular cleaning and reproofing, the camping tents can be used for long time without any problem.